What is a PDO Thread?
A LIFSKIN PDO Thread treatment uses the highest quality CE market PDO (Polydioxanone). Threads which are specially designed for accurate insertion and effective dermal retention providing optimum results. Polydioxanone (PDO) has been used in medicine for over 30 years as sutures in both Cardiovascular and Orthopaedic surgery due to its high degree of safety, predictability and reliability. PDO Threads are surgical threads made from Polydioxanone which is a colourless, crystalline, biodegradable synthetic polymer. Polydioxanone, the material in which the Threads are made up, once inserted into the skin tissue ultimately lift, tighten and rejuvenate the overall appearance of the skin.
What are the benefits of a PDO Treatment?
The LIFSKIN PDO Thread Treatment is designed to combat facial aging, skin stress, asymmetry and other related concerns. Once inserted, the PDO Threads will form part of an integrated support structure for the tissue of the face and body due to collagen synthesis which biologically rejuvenates the quality of the skin and slows down the aging process. Specifically, PDO Threads:
- Improved skin laxity and reduced pore size, enhancing overall skin tone.
- Stimulation of the hypodermis, which increases the production of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (HA), while accelerating skin metabolism.
- Collagen regeneration accelerates over time, improving the appearance of wrinkles and folds, enhancing elasticity, and brightening the patient’s complexion of ageing skin.
- Improved blood and lymph circulation. The results show a significant improvement in the complexion and skin texture, providing a more relaxed, rested appearance.
- The activation of the circulation and lymph channels help mobilize and eliminate fatty deposits.
- The implanted threads stimulate the macrophages. The stimulation of these cells results in a reduction in inflammation and a stimulation of the immune system, which aids in natural healing.
How do PDO Thread's work?
- The treatment method is based on implanting the biodegradable, absorbable and nonallergenic medical “sutures”, otherwise known as threads into the skin that stimulate collagen production. The PDO Threads are slowly broken down and bio-absorbed naturally in the skin tissue over a four to six-month period. LIFSKIN PDO Threads have a powerful dual effect. The first is to provide immediate tightening of the skin. The second is to stimulate your body’s own ability to generate collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (HA). Collagen is a protein responsible for the tension and firmness of skin. Elastin is responsible for skin firmness and elasticity. HA causes the skin to rehydrate. Stimulating HA growth, resulting in improved skin moisture and the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. A PDO Thread treatment is clinically proven to tighten, rejuvenate and restore sagging and loose skin, ultimately enhancing the integrity and appearance of the skin.
Who is a good candidate for a PDO Thread treatment?
The best candidates are men and women who are experiencing the appearance of drooping brow, lines to the forehead, skin laxity or skin sagging to the mid or lower face, visible jowls and loose skin to the neck and other areas of the body. he Thread treatment is intended for men and women aged 30 and above.
When will I notice results?
PDO Thread treatment results will depend on the patient’s age, lifestyle, medical background and skin quality. You will notice some visible results immediately after treatment; however, results will improve over of a period of 2 to 6 weeks as the PDO Threads will stimulate the body’s natural ability to produce new collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (HA).
How long will the results of my treatment last?
PDO Threads will gradually bio-absorb over a 6-month period leaving your skin younger and more radiant, lasting on average for 12-18 months. For longer lasting results it is recommended to have additional threads injected at regular intervals after the initial treatment. Your clinician can advise you on the appropriate timing for additional injections.
How should I prepare for my PDO Thread treatment?
Generally, we recommend speaking with your clinician on specifics of before treatment care. However, we have created a list of best practice here.
- Avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medications for 24 hours
- Avoid taking Vitamins C & E for 10 days
- Do not exercise for at least 24 hours
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 24 hours
- PDO Thread treatment must be carried out by a qualified and trained medical practitioner
- If you are having a treatment prior to an event, discuss your scheduling needs with your practitioner to allow for sufficient recovery time
What can I expect during my treatment?
Come prepared to your appointment by following any instructions provided to you by your clinician during your consultation. Your clinician will clean the injection site thoroughly. You can expect to experience some mild discomfort at the injection site during your treatment, but most sensation will be numbed by the use of local and/or topical anaesthetic which will be applied prior to your treatment. Threads are inserted through needles, if barbed threads are used these cogs or barbs will grasp, lift and suspend the skin. Needles are withdrawn and tissue is gathered over the threads. The excess thread is cut at the end of the treatment.
What can I expect after my treatment?
You can expect to feel some mild discomfort at the injection site after the treatment. Your clinician will provide you a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” for post-treatment care which will be outlined in the aftercare card. Follow these instructions carefully to avoid excess bruising and swelling, and to guarantee the best possible results. In order to maximize results and decrease recovery time it is essential that you read, understand and follow the PDO Thread aftercare leaflet provided by your clinician.
What is the recovery time for a PDO Thread treatment?
The LIFSKIN PDO Thread treatment is a minimally invasive procedure and requires little recovery time. Side effects may include bruising, swelling and mild discomfort. Your practitioner may advise you to take medications (pre or post treatment) to reduce the chances of infection or complications.
What are the potential risks of a PDO Thread treatment?
Risks and complications are not common with PDO Thread treatments. However, these are potential complications or risks:
- Threads become visible underneath their skin shortly after the procedure
- Lack of sensitivity or numbness in the treated area, which usually subsides within weeks of the procedure
- Infection in the treatment area, however this is a less frequent complication.